Almost 40 years ago, the Las Vegas Strip was the site of what would become the third-worst hotel fire in modern U.S. history and what remains as the worst disaster in the history of the state of Nevada.
On an early morning in November of 1980, a small fire broke out in a restaurant in what was - at the time - the MGM Grand Hotel (now Bally's). The fire quickly spread, engulfing the casino level and sending thick black smoke & toxic fumes to the upper floors of the hotel. In the end, 85 people lost their lives and hundreds were injured.
But what exactly caused the fire and led to such widespread fatalities & injuries? And what changes were made to ensure that something like this could never happen again?
Click the photos to learn more about the Inferno at the MGM Grand...